Friday, February 4, 2011

Baby Bridges

I have been semi-aware of this game for some time. It's one of those things that gets referenced at times when I can't follow up. Or, I hear a bit of it, and I put a stop to it. It wasn't until yesterday that someone finally explained the rules to me, and I thought I'd share.  

As they have a normal conversation, the kids are not allowed to use the letter B. I don't know why they chose B,  although there was one day when another letter was chosen (I think it was F that day). If one of them says a word containing said B, all the others in the group get to sock him/her in the arm (hence why I frown on this game in class).  

If, however, the person realizes that he/she used a B somewhere, if he/she immediately says, "baby bridges," the B is erased, and no hitting occurs.  

I wonder about things like this. Where did it come from? How long have they been doing it? (I don't recall noticing it before this school year.) How widespread is the adoption of the game?  

I'll be keeping an ear out for random "baby bridges" from now on. I wonder how long this fad will last.  

2 comments:

  1. I played this exact game 20 years ago in high school. When we played, only words beginning with the letter "b" were targeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in midfle school between 92 and 93 and we used to play all the time. Not sure the origins but we enjoyed it. I chalk it up to youthful ignorance.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.