Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Switch

Yesterday, I got a surprise phone call from the sub caller. It's been rare this school year to get called ahead for assignments, so I wasn't expecting it. Only after I hung up my phone did the name of the teacher register. While not ideal, it was work, so I mentally braced myself for the day. (I have subbed for this teacher before.)

This morning as I was getting ready, I got a reprieve. The sub called explained that the continuation high school was down three teachers, so she needed to switch me. (This sort of thing has happened before.)

I was more than a bit relieved. I didn't even mind that I was early (the continuation high school starts later).

It was a good switch. The worst thing to happen all day was having to deal with a student who looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him to stop talking. As his teacher prefers a quiet classroom (and all the other students were working quietly), I didn't think it was an unreasonable request. He acted as if my threat to move him to another seat was quite the overreaction on my part.

If that's as bad as it gets, then it was a pretty good day.

3 comments:

  1. Subbing is a tough gig. Years ago when 8 reel tapes were in, I was showing a movie on one of those giant movie reels. A kid sauntered over (bout third grade) and cut thr filmstrip. I was so appalled. I just could not imagine how a child could have the idea in his head that that would be okay, or funny or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz

    I have to say, Kudos to you. Teaching is not wimps!

    Now then, you are invited to a "dinner party" for Crusader Group 14 over at my blog.

    Writes of Passage

    Come and join in!

    Dom

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, fellow crusader. I'm a follower now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.