Thursday, April 21, 2011

Nook Issues

I have a nook. When researching the various eReaders, I decided that an important factor was being able to borrow eBooks from the library, and the Kindle doesn't do that. (I looked at the other eReaders on the market, but ultimately decided to go with something that had a major retailer behind it.)

It takes me a while to do anything new. I found a great sewing pattern for outdoor chair covers. I have the pattern. I bought the material. I even have thread. I just have to set aside some time to do the sewing. Who knows when I'll get to it? It's one of my quirks.

It took me a while to get a library card. (The county libraries check out eBooks, and I had never gotten around to getting a county library card.) Then I sat on that for a while. I only got around to checking out my first eBooks on Tuesday. On Wednesday, while waiting for my car's routine service, I pulled out my nook to dive into that library book.

"User not authorized."

Oh great! Of course, there was nothing I could do about it then. (I had other books loaded on the nook, so I wasn't stuck watching CNN.) I had to wait until I could get back home to my computer.

I love the Internet. All I had to do was search "authorize nook adobe" and I found my answer. It was pretty simple, too, but I wouldn't have figured it out on my own.

Am I the only one with a nook? Anyone else out there checking out eBooks from the library? Any recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my...that's really good to know. Actually, I had just been considering borrowing books from the library for my Nook. I hope I don't have any problems.

    So far..*knock on wood* This Nook has been fine. I didn't have one about a month after they came out. Something happened one day...it wouldn't even load anything for me. I took it back to B&N and found it's something occurring, so I was given a newer version of the Nook. I was so disappointed it happened, but I was thankful that they are such a good company that they just switched it up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that libraries lent out ebooks. That's kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will I sound like an old person if I say I'm always authorized to open my cardboard and paper books? No e-reader yet. I can't say never, but I want to wait a while to see how technology change and everything plays out. Meanwhile, I'm cramming my shelves with books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an eReader yet. I've been looking at getting a Kindle though. My significant other, who is a computer geek, wants to get a Nook but not as an eReader. He wants to turn the device into something else. The only thing I could turn my eReader into would be a paper weight.

    My library doesn't lend eBooks and I honestly didn't know any did. That's really great though.

    Glad you found a simple solution to the problem...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.