Thursday, May 26, 2011

F- in Calculus

Remember to enter the contest...

It was a class of ten, so taking attendance was pretty simple. The class warned me that one of the absences, John (not his real name), would probably show up, albeit pretty late. John then became the topic of conversation.

They talked about how John was always late, how he slept in class, how he never did any work, and how the teacher reacted to this (not well). Then John arrived. The others were in the middle of a John story, and they continued telling it as John took his seat.

They turned to John. The story involved a test paper with no name on it, and so they asked John about it. John said the teacher told him not to put his name on it. It was a "waste of paper".

Harsh.

However, the conversation wasn't actually mean. The students weren't picking on John (if they had been, I would have put a stop to it). Apparently, John's lack of participation in the class is a frequent topic.

Before John arrived, the students all started comparing grades. The posted grades did not have names on them, but the students figured out whose was whose (primarily because each student identified his/her place on the list). John's grade was obvious. He had a 0.9%. No, that's not a typo. He had less than 1%.

Once John was in class, the others commented about his 0.9%. John was surprised. His grade had gone down. (From something like 0.92%, in case you're wondering.)

There is a reason all of this is noteworthy (or scary). John is a sophomore. To get into calculus, he had to have passed math analysis. Working the sequence backwards, then there's algebra 2, geometry, and algebra 1. So, John had to have taken algebra 2 in the 8th grade.

To put this into perspective, most 8th graders take pre-algebra or algebra 1. An 8th grader in algebra 2 is at least two years ahead of his peers.

My point is, a 10th grader taking calculus worked hard to get there. He was driven at some point. But something happened to change all of that.

I'm sure there's a story there. Of course, I don't know what it is. I may never know.

4 comments:

  1. It definitely sounds like there's a story there.

    In the 11th grade, I had only made it to Algebra II and that was good enough for my grad requirements and more than good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I wonder what happened. I knew a few kids who had terrible grades (although not quite that terrible). One girl in my homeroom had a sleep disorder. She showed up on time maybe one day a week.

    Whatever's wrong, I hope it gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Yeah, that sounds like quite a story. I hope John has someone in his life to help him with whatever he has going on. Or maybe it's this particular teacher that has demotivated him. Either way: :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, that is bad. Even if it's as simple as being burnt out, it would be sad.

    I hope he gets whatever it is worked out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.