Monday, May 2, 2011

Knitting Hodgepodge

My nephew's first birthday is Wednesday. I made him a little something...

Flappy Flounder 3

I didn't know what I was going to get him, and then the new issue of Knitty came out. There it was. The perfect thing.

I made the mistake of washing it yesterday. (I like to get the stink of my sweaty hands off of handknits before I gift them.) A few of the ends came unwound. That's going to be a problem, but I'll worry about that later.

A funny thing happened when I made the toy. I went into my yarn stash to look for yarn, and I found something interesting. First, remember this sweater?

the cardigan too

A while back (in January), I wrote a post about how I just knew I had another skein of this yarn, but I couldn't find it. Yeah, well, I did. I found that second skein while looking for yarn for the toy.

Insert scream here.

So, if I start another project with that yarn, I now have enough. I guess I can make matching gloves, scarf, and hat. If I were so inclined.

But I've been working on other things.

felted purse

I made another purse. (I didn't like the last one.) It currently hangs on a nail behind my bedroom door. It's waiting for me to finish it. I need to line it (so I have to figure out what fabric I want to use for that), and I need to find a closing for it. I didn't like the fastener in the pattern, so now I have to come up with something on my own.

It's been waiting for me to finish it since April 10th. That's when I got around to felting it. I've been pondering sewing in a zipper.

Any thoughts? Does a zipper sound like a good idea? Or do you have any other ideas that could work?

1 comment:

  1. You knit the nicest things. That toy is so cute and the purse is pretty. Maybe you could use a magnetic snap? Or velcro?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.