Thursday, May 19, 2011

Shouldn't Have Asked

Today was a repeat of yesterday: opportunity in the morning and a CAHSEE prep class in the afternoon. The afternoon class had test prep stuff to do, but first we reviewed some literary terms.  

I wrote "setting" on the board. Then I wrote the definition. Next up was an example.  

"Star Wars was set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."  

As I scanned the faces in the room, I remembered that they had all been born in 1994 or later. But they had to have seen Star Wars, right? I asked the question.  

"It was boring."  

Um. Ah. Speechless.  

I don't know. Should I be stunned? I was stunned. Star Wars boring?  

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps because there were no ninjas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's stood the test of time. Even by today's sci-fi movie standards it's pretty impressive. Maybe the problem is the number of films that have tried to copy it. That could dilute its impact to someone who wasn't there.

    They couldn't have been talking about the newer SW movies maybe? If so, they have a stronger point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color me stunned too! Maybe if it had zombies?? :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.