Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Silly Fire Drill

I used to have a MySpace account. I started my blog there. But after I had a few too many technical difficulties, I moved the blog here. I have since closed the MySpace account. I hate to lose all of my blogs from that time, so from time to time I repost them here.  

I've resisted reposting this for a while. It's my first ever post. But today, for some reason, I feel like I should share. Please be kind. This was originally posted on May 23, 2006.  

Fire alarm? Great!

I hate fire alarms. I have to try to figure out where "my" class is and what they all looked like. After two minutes of taking roll, I usually have no hope of recalling more than perhaps three faces. And taking roll outside? Disaster.

Luckily, today's was different.

I had this same group yesterday. Usually I avoid the assignments that place me with the same class for more than a day at a time. History has given me many reasons for this. However, I was offered a three-day assignment, I needed to work, and it's been a while, so I figured, why not?

Today was day two. And the assignment got extended one extra day. Sigh.

But I was talking about the fire alarm.

They had a movie. Yes, it was in the lesson plan. You think I'm the kind of sub who shows movies and ignores the lesson plan? I'll ignore that. I follow lesson plans. So, I tried to put on the movie.

I'm not stupid about technology. Really, I'm not. Still, I had issues. I think I know what happened, and it wasn't my fault. Anyway, while a kind student was fixing the connections, the fire alarm started its waa-waa-waa-waa, and that means evacuate.

So, we walked out, got outside the gates, and waited. My entire class was there. All three of them.

Yes, I said three.

It's a class of six from the teacher's "extra" period. Three were absent. And except for the class of dream children from a couple years back, this was the easiest evacuation I've ever been in.

I don't know if it's me, but fire drills have gotten easier since this time. So has my writing. Practice may not make perfect, but it sure does make it better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.