Monday, December 19, 2011

Song Request

Today the class was 8th grade pre-algebra. The assignment was too easy and too short. This meant that the students had some time on their hands.

About half way through 2nd period, a girl at the back of the room had a question for me: "Have you heard of 'Rolling in the Deep'?"

Me (cautiously, as I'm not sure where she's going with this): "Yes."

Girl: "Could you sing it for us?"

I have gotten some odd requests before, but never to sing a song. Since there were a dozen ways that this would have been a bad idea, not the least of which is that I'm not an accomplished singer, I told the girl no. Then she explained why she asked.

The girl told me that I look a bit like Adele.

This took me some time to process. And as I'm thinking about it now, I still don't get it. Our coloring is similar. I'm not thin. But other than that, I don't get it. I've got a couple decades on her.

But whatever.

The girl explained that she didn't mean it as an insult. I hadn't taken it as such. Apparently, my expression didn't convey that, for the girl was quick to follow up with how much she liked Adele.

I was still stuck on why some perceived resemblance meant that I could sing. Or would. In class.

The girl then changed the subject.

2 comments:

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.