Monday, July 16, 2012

Reluctant Designer

When my nephew HapkidoKid (formerly Detritus--I'll go with the alias his mother gave him) turned 3, I made him a sweater.

T's sweater front

T's sweater back

The boy grew. I knew this sweater wouldn't last long, so when he turned 5, I made him another. I found the pattern on Knitty, and it's much nicer than this first one...

steggie back

HapkidoKid will turn 7 this year (in December...no, this is not too early to start), and I've been thinking that it's time to make him a new dinosaur sweater.

Here's my problem. I don't like the one I made him when he was 3. I'd much rather redo the one I made him two years ago. But, he still wears the one I made him when he was 3. It's skin tight. It's frayed. But he prefers it to the cute one with all the little spiky things down the arms and along the hood.

Okay, fine. If I must. But,I need to find better dinosaur silhouettes to convert into knitting grids (there's a program that does this). I now know a much better way of installing the zipper. And his color preferences have changed. So, I'm not going to just make a bigger size of the first one.

Maybe I should just buy him something...

6 comments:

  1. I don't know about him, but I want one of those sweaters with the crests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm so impressed. Zippers are a pain period, and I don't knit or crochet anything that would require one. Let me repeat.
    So
    Impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be an awesome aunt to have. Those are some cool gifts, and all the time you must put in upgrades you to awesome. If you do decide to make him another one, I'd love to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the stegosaurus sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so cool that you can knit sweaters like that for him. Find him another pattern that isn't a costume, but just has a picture. These sweaters are nicer than anything you can buy in a store--they'd be a fortune!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.