Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hidden History

I record a lot of shows off The Science Channel. It's backup for when there's nothing on TV. Lately, I watched What the Ancients Knew.

There was a lot of stuff that happened before history. That is, history is what was recorded, so before they could record, we have pre-history. Writing was a huge invention.

But that got me thinking...

What if the ancients did have some way of writing/recording stuff, but at some point they destroyed it all? What if they decided to hide something from us future humans and the only way to do that was to get rid of all trace of their accomplishments?

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, I love what if questions like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a lot of what was written was destroyed in the fire that burned the Library of Alexandria to the ground. Many consider that the greatest crime ever committed in all the world's history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff they destroyed, either because they couldn't preserve it or because they didn't want anyone else to have it. I wonder what they hid from us...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.