Friday, February 1, 2013

Contrary

"Teachers, please excuse this interruption. At this time, we ask that you do not allow any students out of your classroom--not to the restroom or the office. We are not on lockdown, but please keep your students in class."

This announcement came about 20 minutes into first period. The students were semi settled, but this riled them up right fast. No one had asked to go anywhere, but then...

"I was just going to ask you for a restroom pass."

"Now, I've really got to go."

Three students. All with "dire emergencies". Another student "helpfully" suggested the corner of the room. And then all of them were at the room's windows, peering out.

(At least they didn't try to leave. One time on an actual lockdown with a room full of freshmen, I had to put myself between them and the door to keep them inside.)

From the windows they saw nothing. I reminded them that they had an assignment, but they weren't interested in that. Then, ten minutes later we got the all clear.

"I don't need to use the restroom anymore. Now that they said we can go, I don't want to."

Okay, then.

6 comments:

  1. I think the direct approach might work.

    "Why are you so difficult?" Or something like that.

    It might catch them with a deer in the headlights type of response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. That seems about right. I love spending days at home but as soon as I'm stuck home waiting for a repairman of some sort, I'm just itching to get out to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time they want the students to stay put, they should try announcing that everyone has to go use the bathroom right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading this made me want to get up and go to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bizarre story. I guess when you gotta go it happens when it's most inconvenient, but having to really go bad can be pretty inconvenient. Window eh?

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.