Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Boom

AP Statistics. 5th period. Seven students in class, all working silently.

Boom. Against the outside wall.

It wasn't loud. It sounded like a kid may have hit the wall as he walked past. It wasn't terribly regular. Like, three booms followed by an extended period of silence. Only a slight annoyance.

As I had nothing else to do, I decided to sate my curiosity. I poked my head out the door.

"Oh, are we bothering you?"

One adult aide. One wheelchair bound student. Next to the wall sat a bin, and the student was trying to get a mini basketball into it. Clearly, the student had limited manual dexterity, so getting the ball into the bin was hard for him.

"We'll go somewhere else."

Um, no. That's okay. Really.

I mean, they weren't really bothering us. Not much.

I expected to find a couple kids standing near the wall, kicking it, not realizing a class was in session. (The school has two lunch periods, and half the school was on lunch at the time.) I was going to put a stop to that.

But physical therapy? The last thing I expected, and something I can live with.

After that the booms stopped. And I felt awful about it.

10 comments:

  1. Aww it happens. We've all done it, expecting the worst before we think it could be the opposite.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've looked too, and I would've felt bad afterwards if they'd moved.

    And AP Statistics? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure a lot of people would have looked to see what the source of the noise was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they feel guilty for disturbing the class, too. Guilt's one of those annoying emotions. It shows up even when there's no need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have thought the aid would've found a more appropriate place to do that - like somewhere there wasn't a class going on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awh don't feel bad.
    Your class was silent, I bet they thought the room was empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rare for me to get a silent class, too.

      Delete
  7. Well, that was unexpected! Does seem like a weird place to be doing physical therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. There's the big ol' athletic field...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.