Friday, May 17, 2013

Ace in my Pocket

There's something about seeing a sub that makes some students turn off. Especially at the continuation high school.

Mr. H is not a popular teacher. He's strict. He requires his classes to work silently. And they resent him for it. So, when I show up, the class relaxes (read: I can't get them to do anything).

Actual student quote: "A sub? Good. I'm not going to do any work today."

But as luck would have it, it was Thursday. At the continuation high school.

BUYOUTS!!!

I explained that if they wanted me to sign their buyouts, they had to do the work. And finish. (I've had students do one or two questions and think that's enough.)

But of course some students can't buy out. The student who said the above? Didn't do any work. Also, he didn't have a buyout.

Every student who had a buyout, however, did do the work. So, it was a win for me. Sort of.

3 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, do you ever take the time to introduce yourself? Tell them that you aren't "sub" and that your name is Liz. Maybe go around the room and ask them to tell something of themselves to you in a quid pro quo thing? I think knowing that they can't just dismiss you as "sub" and that you have a name "Elizabeth" and that you are there to teach may assist you with these attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Sounds like it was a good day for both sides. Well, except for the ones who don't care enough to do the work, in which case it's kind of earned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole buyout thing fascinates me. Before reading your posts, I'd never heard of a buyout before. Is it just an incentive for the students to show up and do their work the other four days of the week?


    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.