Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Contrary

The week before Thanksgiving I covered an English class at the continuation high school. The assignment: read "No Witchcraft for Sale" by Doris Lessing together, out loud, as a class.

They moaned. They complained. There was no tape? Couldn't they read it individually?

Exactly two weeks later I returned to the same class. I was thrilled to read the lesson plan. The class was to read "A Devoted Son" by Anita Desai individually. To themselves. Not as a group.

We got through the intro stuff, and I delivered the good news.

They moaned. They complained. There was no tape? Couldn't we read it together as a class?

[Insert reaction here]

1 comment:

  1. So it's not so much complaining because they don't like it, but complaining for the sake of complaining. That's school all right.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.