Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Most Hated Assignment


7th grade math. Their assignment:

I love cell phone cameras. You get to see exactly what I'm talking about.

I passed it out to them. They groaned.  

"Not another one."  

"Nooooo!"  

"I spent three hours on that last night."  

I learned that their assignment the previous day was similar. The only difference was the number they started with and the number they used to repeatedly add to work the spiral. At least I didn't have to explain how to do it.

"Can I call my mom? I have to tell her I can't go to football tonight. I'll have to finish this."

Yikes. At least they weren't going to run out of work for the period.

(Turns out the numbers repeat at the hundred mark. That is, if you know one of the answers is 6, then you know that 106, 206, 306, and 406 are also in the sequence. Some students caught this and were able to finish during class.)

9 comments:

  1. Interesting with the repeat and the sequence. I'm not sure I would have caught that at that age!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can safely say i never would have caught that. I see this and I break out in a cold sweat-hated fractions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!!! Just looking at that assignment makes me want to stay home from school sick. But I never was good at math at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that bad once you got into the rhythm of it. But yeah, at 12 I would have hated it.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I see. That doesn't look too hard. Super duper annoying and long, but not difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My class hate worksheets like that. Hate them with a vengeance but it's drill and practise. I love them cos it keeps them quiet for a while but I wouldn't give them out too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt they got more than a couple of them before moving on to the next topic.

      Delete
  6. I like getting a visual. Hopefully students were kind and let their classmates know, so nobody had to miss an after school activity.

    Teens... so dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones who figured it out did so kind of quietly. The others spent so much time complaining loudly that I don't think they heard.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.