Friday, January 15, 2016

False Fire Alarm


The bell to end third period rang. Then it rang again. And again. That's about when it resolved into short bursts...

Oh no! Fire alarm.

At a different school in the district, I'd ignore it. But this was not that school.

As it was passing period, students were walking around. I looked to the neighboring teachers, and they appeared to be evacuating, so I found the class roster and my sunglasses, and I proceeded towards the fields. I got halfway down the building when I ran into the teacher next door heading back.

She talked to another teacher who had called the office. The instruction was do not evacuate. Okay, then, back to class.

Of course, half the student body had done what they're supposed to do and headed out to the field. So, the bell rang to start fourth period, and half the class was missing.

If that's not an excuse to be late, I don't know what is.

*Deep sigh* Mercury retrograde *deep sigh*

On the bright side, it was an advanced math class, so that little adventure didn't wind them up any.

12 comments:

  1. I am glad the students did what they knew was the right thing to do. How are you supposed to know. Who takes time to call the office if there is a real fire??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone, apparently. When we know there's a drill, we just go. But when the alarm goes off and a drill isn't scheduled, we all question it.

      Delete
  2. skipping maths sounds like a total thrill to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fire drills were always such a headache. How are you supposed to know whether or not to evacuate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the kids who DID go outside were discussing number theory while they were out there.

    Me, I'd've been reading a comic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. I'm sure they had other things to talk about.

      Delete
  5. Ahh been a long time since I've had a fire drill real or accidental.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little exercise and fresh air is usually good. :-)

    Interesting article about Mercury going into retrograde. I've heard of the term before, but never before knew what it meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing to be aware of. So, when that email you're writing ends up going to the person you were talking about instead of the intended recipient, you know what to blame.

      Delete
  7. So why wouldn't they evacuate if the fire alarm went off? Just testing them??

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. It must have gone off accidentally.

      Delete
  8. I remember these drills and how I would dilly dally to head back in...:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.