Friday, April 7, 2017

Flailing


I was covering the math class at the continuation high school. They work on computers at their own pace. So, I spent the period monitoring them, trying to keep them on task.

But, when I'm there, they're on sub behavior. Their teacher (who is pretty strict) doesn't let them get away with a lot, so they're more likely to act up around me. Deep sigh.

When I'd see a kiddo not on task, I would ask if they were stuck and needed my help. Usually they said no and they'd get back on task, at least while I was standing over them. (This also elicited actual queries for help some of the time. And help I was happy to give.)

So, when I saw Parnell playing a game, I approached.

Parnell did need help. But rather than calmly explain what he wasn't getting, he flailed about, saying he didn't get anything and he couldn't do anything.

He was doing a unit on getting paid. Taking yearly salaries and breaking them down into how much one would get on a specific paycheck. So, I calmly read the question with him: if someone was getting paid monthly, and their annual salary was X, what would one need to do to figure out how much per paycheck?

He finally got an answer... that didn't match any of the choices he was given.

After some more flailing about, I had him do the problem again. Apparently he had miskeyed into the calculator as he got a right answer this time.

Since he was apparently back on track, I walked away. Only to look over and see he was back on his game. Naturally.

(The newest popular game at the continuation high school is Town of Salem. Considering the type of kiddos there, this is not surprising.)

Have you ever played Town of Salem? What is your favorite computer game?

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter...

28 comments:

  1. Never heard of it. Too bad they don't consider the problems to be games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go back and forth with computer games. I will have to ask my g-daughter if she knows this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might not. I wouldn't encourage her to get into it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that advice. I won't ask her so she won't be tempted!

      Delete
  3. Never heard of Town of Salem, but I'm far, far out of the loop at this point. I haven't played video games since Solitare back in the 90s.

    F is for Fascist Takeover of the US

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of this game. I'm still liking Word Tornado myself when I can play online games.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would bet that most subs have it worse then the teacher of that class, it is one of those deals where the kids just have to push to see how far they can go. You must have the patience of a saint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pushing. Quite a few of them know that they need math to graduate, and he's the only teacher.

      Delete
  6. I've never played that one. I did get hooked on one called Jelly Splash for a while a few years ago, until I got rushed into hospital for a spell and my phone battery was dying but they wouldn't let me charge it so I had no way of keeping in touch with my husband. The reason my phone battery was low was because I'd been playing Jelly Splash earlier in the day before I got poorly. Kind of went off of it after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not a math class if you're not trying to avoid doing the work as much as possible. That's like 90% of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't played it or heard of it *shakes head* at least you tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. It's on him if it takes him longer to graduate.

      Delete
  9. No computer games here, altho my gr-daughter has volunteered to teach me how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good ones that are worth your time. Not Town of Salem, however...

      Delete
  10. I never even heard about this video game. I'm actually glad they had to learn about taking yearly gross income down to monthly net...gives them a good perspective of how much is taken off ones pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The business math modules are great. They do paychecks and taxes and all that.

      Delete
  11. Once in while I'll play a computer game....Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never played that game. Last online game I played was zuma. I sometimes pass a few boring minutes playing s
    Solitaire. And occasionally play hearts offline.
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a gamer for the most part. I was hooked on card games Hearts and Free Cell on my Kindle Fire before my must caught me on fire. ~grin~ Be well!

    http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on card games online. I'm addicted to one at the moment.

      Delete
  14. No, I haven't played Town of Salem. I won't make a joke and ask if it is related to the Oregon Trail game, either. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish. No, in this one, the "town" votes on who to execute. I wish I was kidding.

      Delete
  15. Glad he finally got the answer correct under your supervision. Did you write a note to the teacher about him not staying on task? Or will he be punished in any way for not doing his work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I'm okay with the occasional "get back to work", but the actively avoiding and then back on the game... That always gets a mention. And all names left receive consequences from this teacher.

      Delete
  16. Never even heard of the game. Arg. Makes me feel old. lol

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.