Friday, May 26, 2017

Friday Chaos


It was Friday at the middle school. On Thursday, I had run into the teacher and mentioned that I was his sub for Friday. He told me he was chaperoning a field trip (to Raging Waters--end of year reward for the well-behaved), and he'd see me in the morning. So, when I arrived to his room to find no lesson plans, I wasn't worried.

The warning bell rang. I was still alone. So, I opened the door to let the kiddos (7th graders) in. I stood at the door, looking for the teacher... 

"Oooh, get it away..."

"Get what away?" 

"It's a spider." 

"That's not a spider..." 

It wasn't a spider. It was a cockroach. And it was on the floor next to a girl. To her credit, she wasn't freaking out. The rest of the class, however... 

Since it was an "advanced" class, the kiddos problem solved, and as a team managed to do something about the insect. Loudly. This is why I didn't hear the phone ringing, although someone helpfully told me that it was. 

The teacher was on the phone. He was on his way, but he wasn't going to get to class before the bell, so he wanted to let me know what first period was doing. 

Somehow I managed to get the class' attention, and I told them to get their computers. (Naturally, they had a Google Classroom assignment.) A couple more students then walked in. It was then I realized that the bell hadn't rung yet. Oops. 

I was curious, so I asked how many of the students were going on the field trip. (They were leaving after first period.) 60-70% of the class. No wonder they were wound up. But still, they logged into their Google accounts and got to work. Eventually. 

It took some time, but the chatter gradually subsided. Slowly, the room crept towards silence. And at about the moment they achieved it, the teacher walked in. 

Way to make me look good, kiddos. 

(I did admit to Mr. F that the silence was a recent thing. The students told him all about the excitement.)

31 comments:

  1. All bets are off on a field trip day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is after they leave. Some classes got really tiny.

      Delete
  2. Ah, memories. We didn't get many field trips but those were the best days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They happen frequently enough, or at least I end up covering teachers who are chaperones frequently enough.

      Delete
  3. In elementary, field trip days were exciting, fun, but exhausting. 30 eight year olds with parent chaperones gave me nightmares years after, But, definitely fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's so hard to chaperone amusement park field trips. The chaperones set up shop somewhere so the kiddos know where to find them if needed. And park employees do most of the monitoring.

      Delete
  4. That must have been an exciting day for them. The fact that they managed to sit down at all is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those field trip days in school, so much excitement in the air and definitely not a good day for assignments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better when they leave right away, but frequently they have to attend first period before they leave.

      Delete
  6. Raging Waters would be a cool field trip; end of school celebration, unless one forgot sun screen :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz - I bet the best bit is when most of the class leave. I hope they had a happy day... and then you could too ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL perfect timing. What a way to start the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it when someone walks in and the class is silent and on task and I'm looking busy. It's the best! Good on you awesome teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the best. Suddenly I look like I know what I'm doing ;)

      Delete
  10. Don't you just love when things work out on your behave!? lol....Way to go kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finding a cockroach in class sounds really yucky. Ugh. I can't imagine how seeing a roach back in Jr High would have gone down. -lots of commotion, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it was just the one. Last Friday, we found two.

      Delete
  12. The last school I worked at had a real cockroach problem. I had to fight a couple to get my mop back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate cockroaches. I would've made a big scene because I get the heebeegeebees. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned to suppress that reaction as that just makes the situation worse. Especially with middle schoolers.

      Delete
  14. I'm kind of curious what their cockroach solution was. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Well, the discussion was about whether to stomp on it or get it out of the room. Not killing won. A couple of them looked about for a container, but a girl found a piece of paper, put the bug on it, and took it outside.

      I debated including this in the post, but I figured the details were extraneous. Blame it on my editing.

      Delete
  15. So much for seeking out new lifeforms but hasn't high school changed - students are spoilt with homework laptop assignments now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm kinda glad they decided on the 'no kill' solution.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ew! I hate roaches. I would have probably been up on the desk. lol.

    Yay for the kids getting quiet before their teacher walked in. Why'd you have to tell him the silence was a recent thing? You didn't want him to think you had magical powers or something? lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. He knows his kids and he knows me. If I was less secure in my skills I might have felt the need to lie. But as it was, I thought he'd enjoy the cockroach story more. (He did.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.