Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Longmire


This modern day western will end a six season run on Netflix sometime this year. Alas, I do not have Netflix. (One of these days I'll subscribe, and then I'll get all caught up.)

Longmire began its run on A&E, and that's where I first saw it. When A&E cancelled it, Netflix picked it up. So, I'm behind, but I'm still willing to recommend this show to anyone who might not be familiar with it.

Based on the Walt Longmire mystery novels by best-selling author Craig Johnson, Longmire is about a long time sheriff in a wide open area in Wyoming. While solving local crimes, he deals with a rivalry with the nearby Indian reservation, a friendship with the local bar/restaurant owner, and a deputy who is running to replace him as sheriff. (And that's just season one.)

Of course, there's more going on here. Turns out, there's a bit of a mystery surrounding the death of his wife, although the fact that there's a mystery there doesn't come out right away. He's too busy trying to hold on to his job while still being the boss of the man who is running to unseat him.

I've never been a big fan of westerns. And I'm a bit weary of procedurals. This is both. But it still manages to entertain. It's familiar while managing to be fresh enough to be interesting. If that makes any sense.

Have you seen Longmire? Have you read the books on which the series is based?

15 comments:

  1. I saw a bit of this series while staying with my parents. While it seemed interesting I never got hooked. I'm not a Netflix subscriber, either, though we really need to cut the crappy cable. Partner tells me we need a 'smart' tv first. Ugh... Why does it seem we always need to spend money to save it? Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could get a Roku until you get the smart TV. That's been my intention. For a while. (Yeah, it's not happening all that quickly.)

      Delete
  2. HAHA....I am thinking that you and I don't follow the same programs! Nope, I have not seen or read any of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to find programs that you haven't seen. So, I've succeeded :) I figure you've heard of Orphan Black, Younger, Suits, etc.

      Delete
  3. Heard of the books but I don't think we've watched any of the series. If so, it didn't catch my attention.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Longmire! I'm up to the end of season 5 and luckily I do have netflix :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't seen it and have not read the book(s). But I do have Netflix and sometimes watch various series on my tablet in lieu of reading. This sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to keep you entertained this summer ;)

      Delete
  7. I've heard of that show, but it never appealed to me. Just not my type, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't watched it, but it sounds good. And six seasons, perfect for binge watching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read a lot of western comics during my youth and part of the fun I guess was getting to the heart of the story before my aunt or uncle flicked off the light. I've haven't heard of Longmire yet, sounds like a good contemporary series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not seen that but it sounds like something I'd probably like :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.