Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Requested


Monday morning. The teacher was there before school to give me the rundown of what he wanted done in his classes. It was a chapter on vertebrates in the simplified science textbook for the middle school special ed. class. Standard stuff.

Mr. M was in and out of his classroom for the first couple periods. (This sometimes happens when the start time for the teacher's thing is later than the start time for school.) I don't particularly mind, but I do get a bit of stage fright.

(There have been instances where I got a "critique" later, so I worry.)

Luckily, the classes were cooperative on this day, and we got through the material. Before Mr. M was ready to leave, however, he mentioned that he'd be out again on Wednesday. And, if I wanted and wasn't already booked, I could cover his class.

As it was a pretty good day, I figured I'd try to get the class again. But when I called in for an assignment for Wednesday, Mr. M's class had already been taken.

Ah well. There are other classes. I didn't think too much more about it.

I happened to be on the same campus Wednesday. I was scheduled to cover a general ed. English class. But the secretary had a request for me. Mr. M had gone to her and asked her to have me cover his classes again.

When we're booked to cover a class, we're booked to cover a particular class. There's a whole system in place. The secretary sometimes does switch subs around, but it's something that only happens under extraordinary circumstances. (Or if there's a mistake in the scheduling.)

However, on this day, the secretary asked if I'd be willing to make the switch. It was okay with me, but what about the other sub?

He's been subbing about as long as I have. We're on friendly terms. I figured that he'd be okay with the switch. I mean, general ed. instead of special ed? I think he actually got the better deal.

(I told the secretary that if he didn't want to make the switch to let me know and I'd take back my originally scheduled assignment.)

It amazes me that teachers actually request me to cover their classes. And so this is how I covered the same class for two days this past week.

23 comments:

  1. You definitely need to take this as high praise. Good job! I'm happy when people take notice and hope that good word trickles to the higher ups...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "higher ups" don't really notice the subs. If I were looking for a full-time classroom, this would make a difference...

      Delete
  2. You're awesome and they see that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz - that's a feather in your cap ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes to show you're good at your job and people are noticing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep class happy and you'll become pupils best loved teacher. Your reputation proceeds you when you become good at something or maybe its popularity, smart is sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would imagine you are a popular teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about that. I make the kiddos do their work, so the kiddos don't always like having me around. (There are some subs that let them do nothing.)

      Delete
  7. That means you're doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your recent visits, much appreciated. I was out of town and didn't have the ability to get back to you, so am now...playing catch up. Congrats on your 2 days same class, that certainly means he's happy with how you cover his class! Well done and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tried to leave a hyperlink above, been so long since I've done one, can't tell if I did it right or your site doesn't allow them? so trying again to see what happens....plus just leaving a cut and paste.
    https://travelingsuitcase.blogspot.com/2017/10/no-its-not-klan-country.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a good teacher and you let the regular teacher know what goes on in class. I am sure that is why you are requested as a "repeat performer" for some teachers!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I imagine that makes you feel pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The teacher and students were happy, so that's great. An encore is always good. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Encores are cool. I know what I'm getting into.

      Delete
  13. It's because you are so good. I can't imagine giving a critique to a relief (sub) teacher though. How impertinent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but they do. Sometimes. Usually a "master" teacher who expects me to be able to control a class as if I was the regular classroom teacher. It took me a long time to get over that.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.