Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Long Walk


We're now officially into the school year. We've hit the days where there are not enough subs to go around. This means extra work for me. 😎

I was at the back of campus. Room 919. Beyond the classroom were the P.E. fields. So, way at the back of campus.

I was, of course, expecting the phone call. Could I work an extra period? Of course. And then she told me the room number.

Room 100.

Yup. That's about as far away from room 919 as you'd expect.

Sometimes the secretary will tell me who the teacher is or what the subject is, but not this time. However, I knew already. It was a Spanish class. But this teacher has various levels of Spanish. So, I didn't know quite what I'd be walking into.

As per normal, we got into the classroom after the bell. I went looking for the lesson plans. Found them. And then I learned what class I'd be covering.

AP Spanish IV.

I did a mental jig as I read that. The class cheered when I told them their test had been postponed.

(I could have ended up with freshmen in Spanish I. They would have been a challenge. But Spanish IV--and AP to boot--contains the kiddos who have chosen to remain in this elective. The kiddos who actually like the subject. The good kids.)

Some days I just luck out. It was that kind of week, actually. Well, until... (Check in tomorrow. That day was more "interesting".)

15 comments:

  1. If they want to be there, they're more likely to behave. What did you end up doing for the class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy. I'll definitely be back to read again... Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, tomorrow's post is way more interesting than today's.

      Delete
  3. It's always good when you sub for a class of interested students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AP kids even get a bit crazy if you don't let them study.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took Spanish IV. Don't remember a thing, though. But it would definitely be an easy class to cover. They probably just want to study more for the test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope there are more of these weeks in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you get your exercise walking around the campus. I look forward to tomorrow's story!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you speak Spanish? If so I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Like an idiot, I took French in school. (Considering how many Spanish speakers live in my area, I really should have known better.)

      Delete
  9. So what did they do instead? Busy work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. What the teacher left for them. I think they were happy to get an extra day to study, though.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.